Tuesday, January 7

I watched Joe Millionaire last night, and to tell you the truth, it wasn't as good as I thought it'd be. I was getting myself ready for a show where some very vain women would come to really like some guy because he was rich, and when they found out he wasn't rich, would get "upset". I mean, that's how it was advertised, no? But instead, I kept finding myself feeling uncomfortable about the situation, by the way that Evan was uncomfortable with this lie that he's telling, by the way that a few of the women don't seem to be obsessed with the money -- though they sort of mention it thinking that they should or something. I don't know. I think the whole show is just based on this culture of vanity that exists in the dating world where everything that should matter, doesn't and everything that shouldn't matter, does. The way we're all hung up on looks, charm, comfort, and all sorts of things that, when you get down to it, are nothing more than things that make YOU feel good about yourself -- Aldous Huxley wrote in Point, Counter-Point about "wardrobe" girls...the kind you go out with to look and feel good. That's what's everyone's obsessed with, whether it's finding a mate that makes them look good in the eyes of others or a mate that makes them feel good in their own eyes. It's all about self-satisfaction.

Oh well, I gotta go to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home