Monday, January 20

In having a personal ad posted, I get a weekly e-mailing of "matches" to go through. If nothing else, it depresses the shit out of me because of what they all say their after in a guy. It depresses me because either their lying through their teeth and they don't really want what they're claiming they want, or I have somehow managed to live my life in total avoidance of women that feel this way. Here are a couple of examples taken from several "what I'm looking for" segments:

I want someone kind and intelligent who would treat the girl theyre dating like they would want someone to treat their sister/mother/favorite female relative. I know girls arent supposed to care about chivalry anymore, but I love small gestures that show respect. I need someone who can make me laugh and who can laugh at himself.

that's me

First, Honesty is the SO important. Ive been in not so honest situations before, and once that trust has been broken it never comes back. Second, I like someone that pays attention to details. Details are important! Also, HUMOR! I take pride in my sarcastic sense of nature, and would like someone that can appreciate (and keep up with!) my jokes/comments/etc no matter how ridiculous.

yup

I like honesty and humor the best - out of all the qualities i like in a guy, the ability to take AND dish out jokes, as well as be sensitive and truthful when necessary are #1 and #2 on my list. I highly value integrity in a guy - do what you say you are going to do.

uh-huh

The young man that I am searching for is sincere, romantic, honest and available.

Oh, am I ever!

Yeah, but anyway, you get my point. The e-mail included 10 ads and they all went on with that sort of thing, for the most part. Only one of them was honest enough to say that their man had to make more than $25k a year for them to be interested (the others claimed it didn't matter), and every last one of them stated that a sense of humor was important. I don't know, maybe personal ads are the last refuge of the romantics and therefore bring out the sappy types who, almost by definition it seems, never have any luck in the land of love, but I don't know, I can't help but think that no one knows what they want anymore and are sort of saying what people think they should say...or something like that. Everyone's caught up on these checklists of what love "feels like" and they feel they need to be able to go down and check off "humor" and "intelligence" and "big dick" and "nice car" and whatever it might be that they're looking for. No one even begins to understand what love is. I swear I feel like I'm the only one. But, alas, perhaps God just loves me more than everyone else. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home