Saturday, January 25

The television has been showing an awful lot of what I like to call "comic romantic comedies" (you know, like The Wedding Singer and There's Something About Mary -- funny movies with a romantic story-line not the other way around as "romantic comedies" are) and I have watched several of them, the two I just mentioned being the ones that I watched straight through, more or less. Anyway, I have been finding it really creepy how well I identify with the "main guy" in each of them.

I just watched The Wedding Singer and throughout the whole thing I just kept thining how Robby Hart (Adam Sandler's character) is so much like me. I mean, not in terms of mannerisms or whatever -- okay, maybe somewhat -- but in terms of how he reacts to love and what he thinks love is and how he is pretty much in denial of it. I don't know, I needn't go into specifics about anything that goes on, because that would take much more time, but I do want to comment on one thing that it has me thinking about...that is, that I am not that freakish in my desires for my romantic self. I mean, obviously if this issues are being addressed on screen the way that I would address them (and they always come to happy endings I might add), I must not be alone in my attitudes. Obviously, there are at least screenwriters out there writing these scripts and producers and directors that read them and see them as having some merit or else they wouldn't make them, and the way that actors are drawn to the roles and it all seems to suggest that my thoughts are more common than I sometimes give merit. Or something like that.

I just sometimes wish that life was like the movies more, because too many times in my life I have had relationships like those protrayed in flicks like that and they have never worked out. I mean, I have had a few friendships behave just like the one in The Wedding Singer (some scenes actually seem ripped out of my life story, I could identify with the characters so well) and even though one or both of us tried to act on the attraction, nothing worked out. I don't know if that's because I don't try hard enough or because the girls involved were oblvious to the fact that love is in fact like what's in the movies sometimes...not like that in Casa Blanca or Roman Holiday maybe, but definitiely like that in some of the more down to earth films...even comedies (or comic romantic comedies). Shit, maybe it's not just their being oblivious to how life can be like it is in the movies but are oblivious to what love is at all...too many of them fall for the whole glossy magazine schtick.

Or maybe the fact that I identify with the love lives of comedians just means that my love life is a joke... :)

That was eating me alive as I was watching the movie and I just had to share it...it being Saturday night and all, my only friend right now is you Mr. Blog (actually, I did get invited to two things -- a show and the bar -- the bar I can't stand on weekends, the show I can't go to for other reasons, so I shouldn't be complaining).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home