Tuesday, January 28

Yes my faithful readers, it is time once again for my weekly analyis of that crazy reality show, Joe Millionaire. This week, again as has been the case since the show's debut (well, except for the first week when he actually chose Heidi to move on), I was pretty good at realizing what was going through poor Evan's mind as he picked his picks. Again, I was right about Zora and I am even more convinced that those two crazy cats should be the final outcome of the show. I mean, they are obviously intrigued by one another and, dare I say it, the fact that they are so friggen akward when around each other sometimes and then in amazing bliss at other times just goes to show to me that they are falling for each other. I mean, on paper, their two dates have been the most tense and least "flashy" but they have something deeper going on there. Yeah, Evan and Sarah had some good make-out time and he's obviously physically attracted to Melissa more than the other girls (I mean, she has a rocket bod and all...), but I think that maybe the guy realizes that love ain't all about googly eyes and tongues down the throat and yada yada yada (a Seinfeld reference for anyone that cares) or about physical attraction or even a good old-fashioned conversation over nasty spaghetti, but about that sort of similarity of souls and the recognition of that even when things aren't going so swell that I go on and on and on about it on this here blog (go on, read the archives, I've said it precisely 178 times...okay, maybe not) and that boy Evan and that girl Zora got it going on baby, they got it going on...we should all be so lucky. My money is still on Zora -- I mean, she'd definitely be the best choice -- but there's still room for Evan to get horny or needy or whatever and pick one of the other two with whom he doesn't have that connection. I mean, he wouldn't be the first person to be so afraid of the possibility of true love to run away from it for something easier. The world's full of those of us who have at one point or another...I might even not call him gay if he did now that he's at least given Zora that chance.

I should find some way to make a living at being a Matchmaker...singing "matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match. Find me a find, catch me a catch..." Okay, that's kinda gay doing showtunes and all...I'll stop now before I start questioning myself.

But anyway, I'm going to move on to an observation I made while working today and that is the obnoxiousness of the advertising industry. Every day on the radio I hear ads for the most ridiculous of stuff. I mean, besides the ads for sex aids and bullshit like that (I tend to turn the station whenever I hear about a product that will "revolutionize your sex life" or "satisfy your partner" because I hate to associate myself with people so easily pandered by the sex industry into over-emphasizing the role of sex in life...a topic I could devote an entire blog to so I won't even start), I keep hearing these ridiculous ads for the lottery, specifically scratch-off tickets. They claim that they are "fun" that they will make your life better, that they will bring excitement into your life. I say "a-wuh-huh?" What the hell? Seriously. I have bought a scratch-off ticket or two in my life (okay, maybe twenty or so) and they were not at all exciting, not at all fun. This one ad I hear often goes on about how people "hold their breaths while they scratch" and how most people play "for the excitement". Do people really do this? And I guess I know the answer to that already so it's ridiculous to ask (it's also ridiculous how many times I've used the word "ridiculous" in this post...I'm sorry...I blame it on the bar). I've been to the store too many times to buy chips or beer or whatever and seen people that seemingly obviously should not be doing so slap down twenty/thirty bucks for instant lottery and daily-three games...I can only assume that they do so on a regular basis (in fact, I know some do since I have seen them often). That's sad. Why do they do it? It's one thing to buy a ticket or two once and awhile when you're feeling lucky (I mean, I fit in this group I guess), or even for those that buy $100 worth when the lottery gets up above $100million or whatever (as long as they can afford it), but it's quite another for people who can't afford it to be spending one or two hundred dollars a week on that crap. I realize it's an addiction probably, but why? And then it comes back to those damn commercials and I can't help but think that maybe they are feeding these people with the idea that, yes indeed scratching off pieces of cardboard with a penny is indeed fun...or at least giving them the idea that blowing 50% of their income on such bullshit is acceptable. And what makes it worse is that it's the state of Michigan that pays for these ads that nudge people into doing it. I'm rolling my eyes back right now (you can't see that and I forget the smiley-face code for it anyway) thinking about it...no, the government would rather hunt down people for smoking marijuana or being Muslim or whatever...let people buy their lottery tickets though. We have our priorities all wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home