Sunday, March 23

I am sorry that I have been posting other peoples' thoughts lately...but I feel overwhelmed. I am also very aware that I haven't posted a single thing about the war, and there are reasons for that...

Though I am opposed to the idea of war, especially when it is unjust and pre-emptive, I feel as though arguing against it now is moot. There is nothing that can be said and done that's going to change the fact that battle plans have been drawn up, bombs loaded onto planes and dropped, troops sent up towards Baghdad and dropped here and there throughout Iraq. None of that can be undone. And I think it's important to accept that. Nothing, nothing, can be done to undo what has been done. And so we are at war, like it or not (and I certainly do not). What I am doing now is hoping and praying for the people of Iraq just wanting to live in peace, the American troops who signed up so they could get money for school and ended up getting dragged into Dubya Dubya Dubya III, and even the Iraqi troops that were told to fight under duress. I hope and pray that all can get through this with their lives. I hope that we all get through this with our lives.

And the war is enveloping my life right now. I have watched three, four, five hours a day of television news about the war since Wednesday night. I incessantly check the news on my mobile phone or NPR when a television is not around. It has consumed my life.

...which, I feel, speaks volumes for the fact that the few posts I have made this week have dealt with social issues in my life. I sepnd so much time worrying about the war and all I can think about when it's time to write and post are girls, friends, and those sorts of things. Damn I need a soma holiday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home