Monday, March 10

Some things I've been thinking about today:

A (white) female friend at work told me that some middle-aged black men came up and nonchalantly asked her if she was into jungle fever. That is good, but not as good as the best pick-up line (if that's what you want to call it) I've ever heard...yeah...heard: "What's a little oral sex between friends? Seriously."

Art. I think the simplest way I can describe what differentiates the difference between what is true art and what is artsy craft (i.e. sofa-sized watercolors on sale at the airport Raddison this weekend for only $48 or, for that matter, any mass-produced thing sold at an "art" gallery or show) is this: If I can feel more emotion/meaning from a piece than I can grab from a crayon drawing of a four-year-old's stick figure family holding hands in front of a house topped by a slanted chimney with a curly-q of smoke coming out of it, then it has a chance of being called art. But much of the "art" that I have seen lately around my town comes nowhere close. It upsets me that, for so many, art has become nothing more than a unemotional means to making a buck via artistic talent by selling crap to people wanting to pretty up their homes with faux-art.

Finally, an addition to the list from a few nights back of things I would change about myself if I could. It is a big one, numero uno, and I forgot it primarily because my struggle with it has become routine over the last eight years or so since I first recognized my need to change it about myself. The thing is, I have always been too negative, or at least I sound that way. More to the point, I always seem to say things negatively, even if I'm trying to say something positive. It's weird. Especially considering that much more of what I have to say is positive and not negative, though people only hear the negativity of my tone and think I'm a negative person. I think it goes along with my being over-analytical in that I am more comfortable in saying what's not the case than I am in trying to nail things down to what is the case. So, I come off as being wishy-washy and over-critical and negative all the time. It's this fear I have of never of saying something wrong that I just know I will regret saying at some point in the future. I used to be worse, I think, and I feel myself constantly improving at a snail's pace, but I got a lot of room to grow there. And I have reasons to do so now, so I think I'm moving much faster than I have at any point in the past few years. But, I gotta say, being a cynical mofo don't help the cause much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home