Thursday, June 26

So, my job was supposed to end today, maybe, but it isn't thanks to the stupidity of kids taking standardized tests and the even greater stupidity of people that design the tests. I should now be able to get another half day's pay which is fantastic. I like that. It's sweet.

But anyway, I would never post to say something as mundane as that. Okay, maybe I would, but not right now. Instead, I wanted to write something about how I am. I was talking with a girl yesterday about her and my abilities to be totally comfortable with other people telling us that they're upset or mad at us but our (as she perceived it) inability to do so ourselves. I told her I could...and I think I may be more or less right about that.

The thing is, I don't get upset all that often. There is very little in life that get's me mad. I mean, on one level, that is a complete and total lie...but on the other level it's true. It's weird how facts can be like that. See, the thing is, that there is so much in this world that pisses me right off -- but i block so much of it out. I hate, yes hate, the way that so many people obsess over money and sex and everything else material and define themselves by those things, denying to themselves their own basic humanity. I am angered when I see another person cheat another person or them, I am pissed when I see a parent treat their child like shit or do nothing to try to give the poor kid a reasonable life, my blood boils when I see people give up their inate abilities as human beings and have other people doing their thinking for them, telling them what to do with their lives, or folding into the mold that those in power wish for us to confrom to. I am sickened by it all...but I don't care.

A few months ago there was an accident around the corner from me. A man drove off the road and wrapped his car around a tree, dying rather instantly. Pretty tragic right? There are flowers there, and a cross to commerate his life or whatever, or at least to mourn his passing. But I just want to stomp on them. Because, the accident was not so accidental. The car the man was driving was stolen, by the man of course, and he was driving down the city streets fast enough to wrap himself around a tree because he was racing to escape pursuing police cars. He man died because he did not have enough respect to honor the rights of his fellow man to own a car, he died because he did not respect the law (and therefore humanity) enough to admit his own wrong-doing when asked by the flashing lights of a cop car, he died because he had no respect, and he treasured things (whether it be the car or what selling the car for cash to buy things) more than he respected other people or what have you... And I see no reason to mourn his passing. I see no reason why we as a society should even care about his passing enough to allow those that did love him, that did care about him to mourn their loss publically. He was a cancer to society. At least a civilized society.

...But I don't stomp on the memorial, I don't think any less of the people that cared and loved him enough to memorialize the place where he passed from this earth, I don't believe that those that do what he did and live through the consequences should be treated inhumanely or whatever. It's out of respect that I have these thoughts, partly, but also because if I allowed myself to become upset by things like this -- things that do not even effect me personally on any level -- there are so many other things -- some things, even, that do affect me -- that would drive me insane with rage.

In any case, I am rambling, but I am doing so with a point I think. That is, that there are things out there that one should get mad about, things that should make a person furious...but the vast majority of things that we allow ourselves to get worked up about are really rather silly and inconsequential. And that in itself is rather stupid. Treat me unjustly, lie to me, or hurt me and I will be mad...or treat my fellow human beings with that sort of dishonor and I will fight for them if they are weak...but to get mad about other things is just plain ridiculous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home