Monday, July 21

Okay, the question has been asked, and I will answer: What's with the name "pques"?

It's kind of an out of left-field sort of story, one of those "I would never would have thought that" sorts of things, but one that usually leaves people saying, "okay, now it makes sense"...but of course leaves this taste of disatisfaction in their mouths. Because, really, it's kinda lame.

So anyway, it's 1995 or 1996 and I'm looking to get an e-mail address that I can use from somewhere other than school (since back in those middle ages of the internet, such a thing was not so easy to do) so I turned to Yahoo. My first name's "kyle" and I often signed just the letter "k" at the end of messages, so I thought it'd be swell if I could get an e-mail address that was simply that letter -- in some form. Well, just the letter "k" is too short for an e-mail and stuff like _k_ or k__ was just too cumbersome...so I looked to the Spanish language for help. I tried "que", but it was taken, so I tried "ques" but it was also taken... Okay, well I was already adding letters to the word, so I figured that I might as well add a silent letter to the beginning of the word "que" (or "ques") so I tried "t" as that can be used in the english language... "tque" and "tques" looked kinda dumb as far as I was concerned, so I moved on to "p".... I don't rememeber if "pque" was taken, but in any case, "pques" had this look to it that I liked...with all sorts of curvy letters and stuff, so I settled on that. As an old website of mine used to say "pques -- the evolution of the letter K". And that's what it is, and it's pronounced that way too.

So anyway, that's the story of my internet handle...had it now for almost 8 years which is itself, I guess, something to be proud off as many people switch off from time to time. I like it though, it's kinda cool, kinda mysterous, and when the origins come to light...kinda dorky. But dorky in the good way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home