Wednesday, August 20

I know it's old news and stuff by now, but I haven't written in a week (egads!) so I'll say something about it anyways....

The blackout of 2003

When I first heard reports that there was no significant violence, looting, or other violent acts of people taking advantage of other people when the opportunity presented itself, I was happy. It was a suprise to me that there was none, just as I think it was to the news media that reported the absence of news stories in a sort of awestruck states. It was amazing to me to see all these people working together to get through a crisis. It was comforting to see people put their own needs and desires aside to help out the community en large. It was exciting to hear that the shit didn't hit the fan.

How sad is that?

Not that anything bad didn't happen, but that this was a suprise to me and to so many. How sad is it that we expect people to do bad bad things when the chance arises to do so? How sad is it that we are actually made to feel "awestruck" "excited" or "comforted" by the fact that human beings DID NOT kill each other?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home