Wednesday, August 27

This Ten Commandments thing:

Okay, when it comes to civil liberties, I'm hardcore baby...I think if you read this blog, you know that. The elementary description of my beliefs is this: that freedom shall include the right to do anything you want until it infringes on another's rights to freedom.

If I want to kill myself slowly with drugs or cigarettes or booze -- I should be able to.
If I want to pay a woman to have sex with me -- I should be able to.
If I want to go to a courthouse and not see a sign condeming my religious beliefs -- I should be able to.

Because that's what it comes down to. Commandement Number One: Thou shalt have no other Gods before me...

If I am Hindu and I walk into the courthouse because I have been accued of a crime or have committed a crime, I instanty find myself condemned for my beliefs...in a nation that supposedly values the diversity of beliefs and the freedom to believe those beliefs no matter how divergent from the majority's view they are. If I am Muslim and swept up in an SS raid on my mosque, I am going to go to the courthouse, see that sitting there in granite upon entering and any hope of getting out of this alive is ging to flit away. If I am Athiest and am going to the Court to do my business, I am ging to see that sign and wonder to myself what's the point in caring when my beliefs are not respected by the courts.

It's really that simple.

Supporters of this bullshit like to say "'thou shalt not murder', who will disagree with that?" and the answer, of course, is no one. But having no other Gods, not coveting your neighbors' wife, honoring your mother and father...this ARE NOT judicial issues like murder is, they are MORAL issues which the courts have no authority over until or unless they are codifed into law.

The cornerstone of a civilized society is respect for other people, especially those in the minority. When the courts -- the arm of the government that decides on each and every one of our freedoms -- do not respect everyone equally, especially those in the minority, society becomes less civilized and society begins to unravel.

God Bless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home