Wednesday, October 29

addictions as of late

There are two things that I can't seem to drag myself away from lately.

The first of them is HSX (the Hollywood Stock Exchange). For some reason I am really into this mode of tryingt o make (fake) money on the thing, buying stocks in opening movies and trying to guesstimate the box office takings of movies already in release is taking up an hour or two of my days. Yipes! I've been during alright I guess, losing money in general and then hitting it big with a surprise box office smash (I made $2.5 million on Scary Movie 3 last weekend) which means I'm generally getting richer. I don't know, I'm learning a lot of patience on the thing though. Weird, really, that a stupid internet game could teach you about things like patience and ballsiness, but it is. If anyone would like to sign up, e-mail me and I can refer you and get an extra $100,000 myself.

The second thing is the California wildfires. The pictures that are all over the news are just captivating me. I've already spent an hour or two watching CNN today and watched the fires reach a house that just burst into flames. It is so bloody dramatic and morbidly exciting. Another news feed they have going today is one from spot on the opposite side of a ridge from a town, every so often you can hear a big burst as a propane tank explodes as the fire reaches a new house. I know it's all sad and everything, all these people losing their homes and everything that they own as a result (and the fact that arson is expected in much of it makes my stomach churn), but a part of me is rooting for the fires. There's a part of me that just despises Southern California that much...all the vanity that the place promotes and embraces, it's a sort of Soddom and Ghamorra thing. I mean, it all begs the question for me again (just like it does with every fire, mudslide, earthquake, smog report, drive-by, lack of water whining, and every other common scary thing short of a tornado) why anyone would want to live there?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home