Saturday, November 22

i'm looking for jobs and i see my future...

Heh, sometimes what you're looking for leads you to what you didn't even know you were looking for. This latest economic crisis I have found myself in has got me looking for any and every place that I could apply to...even minimum wage places. But tonight I was looking online for webpages of local bars, trying to study their menus and whatever to give myself some sort of edge. You know.

Anyway, in looking I ran across a page for Cooley Law School's new campus in my town (which is opening much sooner than I had heard it would...I thought it would be awhile). Now, a little about Cooley. Near as I can tell it is the second lowest ranked school in the country when it comes to admissions standards. Frankly, I would be in the top 20% if I went there. I want prestige, but given my financial situation, a couple other things dawned on me. One, not moving would be cheaper than moving. I'm comfortable where I am living now (I think I actually love my apartment). My friends are here, my family's here. And I wouldn't need to go very far to visit anyone. In fact, where I'm living now, I'm a mile or so from the campus that opens up in two months. It's all so damn convenient and would ultimately lead to cheaper in the long run. I think.

But the second part, and the more important one, comes in my being in the top 20% there -- scholarships. My lousy 154 on the LSAT would translate into an instant 50% scholarship off of tuition. Fifty bloody percent. No questions asked -- not even an application. It's automatic. How can I pass that up? I wouldn't get that somewhere where I'm average...only where I'm exceptional. And I would there.

I don't know, I want to get out of this town, but at the same time I don't. After years of complaining about the stupidity of the nightlife and the utter and complete boredom that is living here, I suddenly don't really want to leave. I like it here for some reason. And I can't leave my friends and family. For so many years I didn't really know anybody. Not like I do now. Not even close. It's only been in the last year or two that I have finally found people that I'm truly close to, that I can really trust, and that I can love. And to think about throwing it all away...it's put me on a fence in the last couple months I'll tell you that much.

But then I find this out about Cooley. That I can take classes a mile from where I currently live, thereby not uprooting my entire life and moving to a place just out of reach of everyone I care about and that I can do so for cheaper than any other school in the country. aaaarrrrgggghhhh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home