Sunday, November 16

thank you

I am having one of those times lately where I am really appreciating the fact that people come here and read my musings. With the exception of one of my regular readers, I don't know any of you aside from your handles and occasional comments but I still find comfort in knowing that there are people out there who are interested enough in me to keep coming back. It means a lot, thank you.

And it has made me think a lot lately about some of the things that make me very upset about our society. I live, for lack of a better term, a rather ascetic existence and that is not something that is generally well accepted in our world today. For most, life is about vanity. It's about looking good and feeling good and stooping to whatever low, low means it requires to get there. That, of course, is the exact opposite of how I feel in that being well is infinitely more important than feeling good.

I think that that distinction is the fuel of my angst. Socially, it causes me to be repulsed by people stooping to ridiculous levels to be attractive to the opposite sex (or same sex as the case may be). It consumes them, drives them, becomes them. In the process their souls are lost to some social collective that communicates its desires through the media and ones peers. Life becomes GAP commercials and rumor mills, a person becomes what they own and who they sleep with, life becomes a cat and mouse chase to keep up with ever-changing trends, the ones that keep up most closely being the ones deemed most successful. And that success of the few leaves millions behind to fight like rats to dive overboard the sinking ship of yesterday's fashion, and many are obviously hurt int he process. What kills me is that it's usually the coolest people, the ones that don't belong there, that are hurt most often and most critically.

Politically, it sickens me in that politics is driven today (especially in this country) by fear tactics and "appropriate" countermeasures. Scream "terrorist!" and strip away a couple other civil liberties to comfort those that cower beneath their blankets at night. Vanity is found in the approval numbers of bad presidents that bomb the innocent or hand out tax breaks whenever bad news is flowing from the hoppers. And people fall for it because they put their own "safety" and finances ahead of everything else. The economy "isn't so bad" as long as you have a job and aren't paying too much in taxes. Terrorism is under control as long as the tens of thousands of innocent people that are dying because of it don't speak the same language as us and live on the far side of the world.

It's all do to vanity at some level -- the desire to put oneself ahead of all others, to hold on to those things that in the end do not matter, and to care about about how others see you than who you are. And it's completely the opposite the way that I am and it leaves me feeling very alone sometimes. But obviously if there are people reading this blog then I am not so alone and it is good to know that. It brings warmth to my heart. Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home