Monday, December 29

and the award for worst money management in the world goes to...

*****INAPPROPRIATE RANT ALERT!!!!*****


So I'm just sitting in the living room trying to enjoy the Simpsons and my roommate comes in. "Um, are you going to be able to give me that $175 you owe me?" he asks, referencing the second half of my security deposit that I didn't pay, hiom having money at the time and me not, "I kinda need it to pay rent."

???!!!???!!!

This is funny to me. I'm unemployed, having a horrible time finding any kind of work (and absolutely no opportunity to find one right now given the placement of holidays and most offices are operating at 50% or less right now), and flat broke aside for a hundred or two bucks and whatever I can get from ebay that must last me until I get some sort of job lest I need to borrow MORE money from my parents (my dad being unemployed as well -- God Bless George W).

Anyway, my roommate has a job, he brings in $300 a week or so. He also sold his car a few months back, for $5000 and collected around $1000 from cashing in his 401k. Needless to say, between making $1200 a month for three months and selling his car and cashing in his 401k his being broke has meant he's gone through almost $10,000 in four months. FOUR MONTHS. I've been living off of about $800 a month -- it's been pretty tight -- but if I had $10,000 I could live off of it for a full year...and still have $400 to boot. I don't get it.

Seriously, if you can be single and can't live off of $1200 a month when other people obviously can (me) there's something wrong with you. He goes to the bar every night and has two or three drinks at $5 a pop...that and smokes a pack or two of cigarettes...that comes to, what? $20 a day on average...$600 a month. You would think if money was so tight, he'd cut back a little. But no, ask Mr. unemployed roommate for a callback on his loan. Never mind I paid the $85 electric bill for his old place when we first moved in together. Sure I paid the phone bill one month so it didn't get turned off (the phone bill he couldn't pay while making $12 an hour 50-55 hours a week). Sure it was pretty much a weekly ritual for him to borrow $40 the Tuesday before he received his paycheck so he could go to the bar...even while working said job. Sure he often didn't pay his half of rent until the middle of the month. But oh my bloody goodness if I try to rely on him for less than he relied on me on multiple occasions. Pffft.

Anyway, I'm just pissed. There's no need for advice or anything. I'm pretty sure that I'm kicking him out when the lease is up. Especially if I go back to school...I can't put up with these minor stresses while dealing with school...and I certainly can't bail him out...and considering he's "out of money" I think we all know that come this time next month he's going to be way behind....

Heck, I might have to boot him even sooner. If he can't make it through 4 months on $10000, how's he gonna make it through January on $1200? And there ain't a way I can help...at this point I don't think I would even if I could.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home