Tuesday, December 2

sigh

So, in Louisiana there's this school where a teacher punished a kid for telling another kid that his mom was gay, then explaining that "gay" means that a "girl loving a girl". The teacher wrote a letter home to the mother, and also a note that the child had filled in with his explanation of things. It is here (a .pdf file, if you don't have adobe whatever software you'll just have to get it).

It brought tears to my eyes. First off that a 2nd grader is being told that callng his mom what she is is wrong, which to a second grader is telling him that the mother he loves is bad in some regard. That infuriates me. I don't care if homosexuality is right or wrong in your book, you don't tell a kid that his mother is a bad person. Period. That goes for even the most cracked-out, slutty, or downright abusive moms in the world. NEVER tell a kid that she is a bad mom. This teacher is solucky I'm not in Louisiana to "talk" with her.

Secondly, just the way the kid explained it. Man. The innocence of youth. It's just so. fucking. beautiful.

What I did: "I sed bad wurds."
What happened because I did what I did: "Lineing up fur riyses."
What I should have done: "cep my mouf shut." <---- that's what got me
What would have happened if I had done what I should have done: "I wud be at riyses"


It kills me because the writing is so cute, so adorable, so child-like and I can only imagine that the kid was crying as he wrote it, scared and confused that he had done something wrong when all he did was tell some other kid about his mom, a woman I'm sure he loves with all of his heart.

Stuff like this makes me even more certain about my law school decisions. I want to help kids like this...I want to save kids like this from a world that just seems to sometimes go out of its way to ruin...no, destroy their innocence. *sigh*

I'm sorry...this probably makes me sound like a wuss or whatever, but there is very little that gets me riled up like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home