Friday, January 23

another childhood face passes on

Bob Keeshan, who gently entertained and educated generations of children as television's walrus-mustachioed Captain Kangaroo, died Friday at 76.

Keeshan, who lived in Hartford, Vt., died of a long illness, his family said in a statement.

My Way News


Man, the kids of tomorrow are going to have it rough. Mr. Rogers is gone and so is Captain Kangaroo. I wasn't as much into Mr. Kangaroo as I was Mr. Rogers or Sesame Street, but I still watched the show from time to time. I remember him and the moose and Mr. Greenjeans (who I believe died last year or the year before, no?) and, of course, the ping pong ball gag they played all the friggen time.

On a personal note, I actually met Bob Keeshan once when I was around 13. I don't remember much about him and really I didn't talk to him or anything (I worked with him on a PBS auction/fundraiser) but he didn't come across as being a jerk or anything...sometimes I have to wonder if stars of children's shows can be that way -- the way that they especially are practically worshipped by their fanbase. It's gotta go to the head I'd think. In any case, he didn't seem that way, instead preferring to be nice to us kids.

In any case, it's sad, and I wanted to report.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home