Sunday, January 25

our perverse, fucked-up, sex obsessed society

I don't know if Rosy Reid is a real person or if her plight is real, or if anything from Britain's "News of the World" can be believe or what have you, but it saddens me that her story doesn't surprise me. Basically, she's a University student in Britain and is bogged down with debt. Her solution? Sell her virginity on eBay. She's gotten 400 bids, up to 10,000 Pounds. What kills me is the logic in the article. First, there's the fact that she's prostituting herself. That alone is sad. Second, is that her girlfriend (as the article states, her virginity was "never lost it due to lesbianism") doesn't care. If it was a woman she was seeking to sell herself to it would upset her, but since it's a man, she says, "I know she doesn't care about men, so if it has to be done, I am right behind her." Third, Ms. Reid is blaming the government for putting her in this predicament... My God I hope this whole story is fake.

But there are others that are doing the same thing, whether for real or not. Or I should say, those putting their virginity up for sale on eBay whether intending to go through with it or making a joke. There's gr8*bargains who is doing so to buy a car and adds that he's "a genuine virgin, i suppose this is because i am very shy when it comes down to girls." There's bobostonepony who has an auction up to take some girl's virgnity (or she needs to be at least 28 days abstinent) with the qualifications that she be:
1 BE FEMALE
2 you must weigh under 165 pounds
3 you must be over the age of 18 and under the age of 42
4 you must be hygenic
5 you must be disease free
6 you must not have any visible signs of illness
7 you must either travel to Austin, TX, or provide my airfare and accomodations to visit you.
8 you must agree to allow this to be video taped for distribution (according to the law as long as it is recorded and intended for distribution it is legal)
9 my satisfaction is 100%GUARANTEED .
10 I will provide candles and the music of your choice.


I realize that these may all be ridiculous, made-up, and otherwise stupid, but the fact still remains that our society is such that these sorts of things find their way in newspapers and the like. It says something about how we view things as indivdually important as our own sexuality and how cavalier we are in sharing that part of us with whoever, whenever, and (in some cases), for however much.

I view my sexuality as a part of me...a part of the whole. Other parts would include my intellect, my emotion, my spirituality, my personality, and well, you get my point. I do not see the allure of just throwing my sexuality this way or that...to me it's akin to handing over my faith to some religious tenet..seeling my soul to someone else's religion for some reason other than my faith. I have never understood it, nor do I think I ever will. But people do it.

There was also a story in today's New York Times (you must sign up for a free subscription to view the story) about "the community" -- a group of men, world-wide, that meet in cyber-corners deciding how to best pick up women. There are mentors in the world, men willing to receive big bucks, to teach losers (and I include myself in the loser bunch, so no need to get defensive) how to manipulate women and more or less trick them, playing off of psychology, to become putty in their hands. Lying for sex. That's what it comes down to. Guys seek such advice and girls fall for it hand over foot. A psychological game where the stakes are a bit of everyone's being. Obsessing on the parts of these guys to hook up -- willing to travel across the country and around the world to pay hundreds and thousands of dollars to be tutored in such things as "the neg" (where you say something that's not a compliment, but not a dis either -- to purposefully wear down the self-esteem of a girl so that she'll play into your arms) and other things that are just as romantic as a McDonald's restroom fuck.

Man, I'm pissed at the moment. Why does humanity have to be so damn fucking ridiculous? Why are we so wrapped up in this shit? Why can't we take things that are serious seriously and let be the things that are not? Ugh. It really pisses me off.

Last night I had a wonderful conversation with a friend that somewhat got into this...or at least about the issues that drive both guys and girls into this...game. About how many girls are so willing to do just about anything just to feel wanted and fill some self-induced hole in their heart, until they learn that that's ridiculous. The things that go on behind closed doors, the things that guys say to get girls behind closed doors. The things people do in the heat of the moment, thinking that they want to, but regretting it the next day, and then not learning from it...doing it again a week or month later, then again and again. I hear it from people all the time, all the bloody time, and sometimes from the greatest of people, sometimes from my closest friends, sometimes from girls I swear are angels. And it kills me, it makes me want to die, because it's all so self-deprecating, so sad, so indicative of a lot of inner pain and turmoil.

But what kills me most is that the pain that it causing it is not real, but imagined. It's self-induced and self-perpetuating. It enters when some threshhold of rejection is reached, then grabs onto the heart and holds on, telling the soul that to be worthy it is to be wanted, and to wanted the body needs to act...and a cycle develops and continues...until such day as the mind and heart realize that there's more to life that sex and that there's someone that wants them, needs them, and adores them without the actions of the body.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home