Sunday, February 8

yet another reason to love canada

From MacCleans:

Yes, we're cavilling, but clearly there is something about George W. Bush that gets under the skin of Canadians. After all, vehemently disagreeing with the policies of American presidents is almost a national pastime. There has to be another explanation for our extreme reaction, the desire afoot in the land to see him turfed from office. That and the unprintable sentiment about him and the horse he rode in on. Even before we know whom he will be running against this fall, Canadians have made their decision. Only 15 per cent, according to an exclusive new Maclean's poll, would definitely cast a ballot for Bush if they had the opportunity. And if Americans remain almost evenly divided -- some 50 per cent approve of his performance in the White House and he's running neck and neck with his likely Democratic challengers -- there is no such dithering on this side of the border. Just 12 per cent of us feel Canada is better off since he took office, and only a third of respondents will admit to liking the world's most powerful man, even just a little bit.


Hey, they might be adding to their population a bit if Dubya pulls off a win in November. I don't think the usually empty "I'll be moving to Canada if so and so wins" threats will be so empty this year. Though I'm not sure I'd add my name (if John Ashcroft, on the other hand, found himself nominated I'd be looking for apartments in Toronto and Ottawa) it's still an option. In any case, I think it speaks volumes when a nation as close to the US as Canada -- culturally probably moreso than politically, but still -- is this opposed to our president. It certainly, I think, speaks volumes more than when simlar polls in France and Germany show similar responses. In any case, it's a bit of a reaffirmation of my loathings I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home