Saturday, March 13

the sentimental old bastard

I think most of us keep little knick-knacks to remind us of our past. I remember when my grandma died, I took a single stone from the front of her house and to this day keep it with a picture of me and her, as well as a small bell she had to commemerate my birth. I also have a small matchbox from a girl I was once in love with...a "gift" from her in a playful moment of handing off some useless garbage. And I don't think I could even begin to list the boxes of stuff I have of my moms...

It's human nature.

But what does Donald Rumsfeld keep on his desk? A piece of one of the 9/11 planes. How precious, how sick, how nearly feloneous.

As it turns out, there's a lot of stuff out there that federal agents and the like kept after the attacks...as macabre souveniours of that most awful of days. Seems sort of sick to me, especially when it's someone as powerful as the Secretary of Defense. I could see a lowly cop keeping a stray patch off a fallen compatriot's sleeve or something...but for someone of Rumsfeld's stature? For shame.

...especially when I remember comments made by members of the administration when pieces of wreckage found their way onto eBay and the like....

I'm gonna hold back dropping the H-bomb this time around. I think we all know the administration is full of it by now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home