Monday, April 5

adaptation

I just got done watching the movie Adaptation and...wow. I see a lot of movies (usually at least three or four that I've never seen before, new and old, a week) and rarely do I talk about them here but when I do it's because they mpact me somehow. The last one was The Passion of the Christ which I think I made pretty obvious I loathed, and before that it was Big Fish. I link to the post I made about Big Fish because I wrote then that that movie felt as if it were made for me.

If Big Fish was made for me, then Adaptation was written about me.

So much of Charlie Kaufman's autobiographical main character is me...from the shyness and profuse sweating in social situations to the balding to the feelings of himself. From the way he battles so incredibly hard to stick to his principles and be independent in his writing to the frustration and loathing of his brother for learning how to write at a three-day seminar after which he creates a million dollar script. Granted, I'm not a screenwriter. Truth be told, my writing these days tends to stick to this blog and e-mails. But that desn't matter.

What matters is that in Charlie Kaufman's character I find the closest outside representation of me that I have ever seen on film. Sad as that may be, I find some peace in that I am not alone...assuming Charlie Kaufman truly did try to represent himself in the movie. Happiness, for me, can be found in that by the end...I knew what would happen and what happens (without giving the ending away) is everything that I want for my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home