Sunday, April 18

goodbye old girl

It's a sad statement about the world in which we live when I hear about things such as the closure of a local theater like the Wealthy Street. The remodeling and re-opening of the building five years or so ago completely changed the momentum of the neighborhood. Prior to it's remodelling, the corner a few doors down was one fo the busiest drug-dealing corners in Grand Rapids -- I know, I used to live two blocks down -- but as soon as the theater opened up, the neighborhood started calling itslef the "Wealthy Theater District" and sleazy liquor stores were refurbished into education centers and hair salons into banks. But now the centerpiece is closing.

I find it ironic because that area of town is literally less than a mile from houses that reach into the millions of dollars in value. Cars that cost more than the houses in the neighborhood drive down that street every day...sometimes those cars would park in front of the theater and their owners patronize any of the any events held there. But in the end, I guess, it wasn't enough.

It's strange to me that such a community resource that literally takes a neighborhood and spins it completely around from slum to hip in just five years should hurt for money. It seems strange to me that those that could help wouldn't step up to the plate and do so. I would if I could. Why, just two weekends ago the Wealthy Theater hosted a benefit film festival, but because of the cost, I couldn't go. I wish I had some money to give.

That's what I don't get. I don't understand the thinking of spending money on fancy houses and cars when the tiniest fraction of that could have so much power and do so much good. I mean, surely as people passed in their Mercedes SUVs adnd Hummers they saw how the community was becoming alive after many years struggling on the brink of death. Surely they could have helped, but they didn't. Bah.

Maybe it isn't their fault even. Maybe the theater was mismanaged or what have you. Maybe it's no one's fault at all. All I know is that the place was beautiful and a shining example of just what urban revitalization can do and how effectively and quickly it can do it. But that's all past. Hopefully even with her doors closing, the Wealthy Theater District named after her will continue to flourish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home