Wednesday, April 14

the onion making real news again

I find this funny because I wrote about the Onion and how good they are just yesterday...but I guess in the city of London, Ontario there is a debate going on about making schools more "gay-friendly" or whatever and those opposed to doing so have been humiliated by having used an image from the Onion to prove their point. From what I can gather, it's the image from this article back in 1998. The woman who used the image, Marilyn Ashworth, said "We knew it was a gay paper and we hold that even as a joke, the gay community is proud of their advancements into the safe schools program in the U.S, we don't think homosexuality in schools is a joke." I wish I knew more, but the only article that I can find is currently unavailable and I can only go by the blurb mentioned in the Dailly Rotten and in a couple yahoo/google news searches.

I think it's funny because every now and then, every six months or so, a news story comes out that people took the Onion seriously and got all bent out of shape about something they read there. It's funny because they usually tend to be people of the stick-up-their-butt persuasion too and I just love for their ignorance to shine as brightly as it is deep.

I have to wonder how many people got worked up when this story ran with the picture of Clinton decked out like Qaddafi on the front page. I betcha "those people" were shittin' their shorts.

(Of course, liberals can be duped too...just read some of the feedback that Whitehouse.org receives...though it was better during the Clinton administration)

An a sadder note, looking back through the archives of the Onion, this article about the Bush campaign executing 253 Democrats to gain New Mexico's electoral votes in the 2000 elections is less funny than it was three years ago. I wonder why?...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home