Monday, July 26

blog reading

I ran across an entry this morning in another blog about a blogger disclaimer that's been out there for awhile. It reminded me of a question I was asked just last week (in RL) about reading other peoples' diaries and rooting through their stuff and the like. At first I thought it was just a weird out of the blue sort of question, but then I came to realize that maybe it was her way of telling me that she peeks in on this blog from time to time...

The thing is, I don't care who reads this thing. If I've told someone where it is, then they have every right to come and read what I've written whenever they damn well please. There are only a few people who I've told outright, and they are people I trust. Only one person from my real life (Tiger Lilly) reads this thing with any sort of regularity, but maybe there are more. I really don't know. If, however, you are reading this and you do know me...please tell me that you do because it is just sort of weird. It's not that I have anything to hide from you, but looking in on here without me knowing is sort of like peeking in my windows at night without my knowing when it'd be much easier and a whole hell of a lot less creepy if you just told me you were doing it.

That said, it is quite possible that there are people out there who could have found this site through my use of the handle that I've been using since I first got online back in 1995..."pques". There have been plenty of people in and out of my life since then and frankly it wouldn't surprise me a whole lot if one of them got to thinking "what the heck ever happened to kyle..." and typed pques into google or whatever and found me. If that's the case, I don't mind either, but I'd like to know that they were reading this too, you know?

Look, a blog is public by it's very nature. Those of us that publish them do so knowing full well that anybody, literally anybody, could read what they are saying. In my case, there are certain details of my life that I leave out because of this fact. Certain personal details that I choose not to publish so publically (whether that be real names or kisses and tellings or what have yous). What I publish is out there for anyone to read and that's the way I like it. Frankly, I do keep a rather inactive personal journal at home on paper for my more private thoughts and the like...looking in on this blog (and any others...every blogger should know this) is not the same thing as going into someone's bedroom and reading their private thoughts. That would be wrong -- worthy of scorn and a loss of trust. They may very well be the very same private thoughts that they would share to the world on the internet, but they are not being shared openly. You know?

In any case, it's been awhile since I've gone through my thoughts on this matter and since things have been brought up a few times in the very recent past to remind me of that fact, I thought I would enunciate my thoughts on the matter once again for those that may have joined my little menagerie in the past however long it's been.

peace out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home