Saturday, July 10

ironical

I was just at a friend of mine's garage sale at her house when I had one of those weird things happen that, although it's not exciting or anything, still fits into the whole "you can't make this shit up" files:

As we were packing up the unsold goods of the day, a man pulls up in a nice looking SUV and crosses the street. As he walks up to the front yard, he immediately passes a table of books for sale to his right and, just as immediately, points out a book as having been his. We all thought maybe he was saying that as some sort of "I've been looking for this book" sort of way but, no, he continues by picking a book up and saying that his picture is in there...and sure enough it is.

He's a bit upset, it seems, that this book of poetry was found on a garage sale table top mixed in with a bunch of other "fill a bag for a buck" stuff and so we asked him to sign it for my friend Melissa who had probably gotten it for free from the bookstore she works at anyway.

The inscription was something like "Dear Melissa -- I hope you can find at least one, one poem in here worth reading...." (I do know you underlined the repeated "one").

In any case, I thought it strangely ironic (or "ironical" as the illiterates are saying, or at least singing, these days) that all this happened. Oh well, maybe you had to be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home