Monday, August 16

orgy porgy

So I got a gig at a local hoochie bar and I'm going to quit.

Last Wednesday, in my efforts to be un-unemployed, I applied to a couple of bars as a bouncer and/or bartender...and Thursday I got a call from the one that I listed as a skill that I was "6-foot-7 and big" to come in Friday night at 10pm and do my thing. I get there and work and within a matter of a four hour shift (that felt like eight) I decide that this probably isn't something that I want to do long. I mean, it's Friday night and I'm being paid a whole $8.50 an hour to be somewhere I'd avoid like the plague on my off-time and I was supposed to do it Saturday night too which meant that I was effectively throwing away my weekend for approximately $85.00 minus whatever taxes might be taken out.

Anyway, I toughed it out and went back on Saturday to find that my job that night was to watch the dancefloor (as opposed to checking IDs at the front door). Ugh. I suddenly remember why it was that I avoid places like that like the plague.

I gotta say, I have a very strong faith in God. I have been through near-death experiences, tragic events, rejection, and the loss of those nearest me and I can't remember the last time that I felt any sort of hatred or disdain to God and His plan for putting me through that shite. But Saturday night, with a dance floor packed with people bumping, grinding, and dry humping; in a bar full of liar guys saying and doing anything to get laid; in a building full of people ith exactly one thought on their mind...I couldn't help but think that maybe we are all just hairless apes driven by little more than animal desires to procreate and do whatever it takes to do so. I couldn't help but stand there and think that maybe we are just evolutionary fluke with no devine purpose or design, just here to make more of us...like the giraffes and fishes and monkeys. I really questioned whether there was anyone up there looking down at us and, supposing that there were, how long it took for Him to shake His gigantic head in disgust at just how lowly and purely animalistic we can be.

No job is worth a faith crisis.

But everyone that I know and talk to thinks I should stay. Granted, I don't tell them about this issue because, frankly, people think I am just being all philosophy-major thinking too much about things-ish if I did, but they still think that I should stick it out, try to get myself to just one night on the weekend (so I can have one night off), and lve with the fact that I don't really like it at all.

...but what is it worth if it makes me hate humanity more and question my faith? Yeah, I don't like that.

For the record, I know of many people that have become atheists having worked in bars...for reasons that are similar to mine. Alcohol, as a truth serum, has an ability to bring out the basest, primal instincts in man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home