Wednesday, September 29

space oddity

Spaceship One flew into space again, this time with an included 40 barrell rolls that the pilot sounds to shrug off. This means that if they can launch again within the next ten days (and they plan to on October 4 I believe), they will win the $10 million Ansari X-prize.

As awesome as I find this whole thing -- being the science, astronomy, and adventure enthusiast that I am -- it bothers me in a way. There is just so much hurt in the world and we're flying spaceships up to win $10 million? Couldn't all that time, energy, and money be spent on better things? I don't know, it's not as bad as Virgin's plans to charge $190,000 for rides in Spaceship One knock-offs (even more money from more people that could be put to better use), but it still seems somethign of a waste.

But then again, it is pretty damn cool that someone will soon do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home