Friday, October 1

at night i become someone else

I am firmly convinced that at night, once my now conscious self falls "aleep", I am transformed into someone else. Namely, Charlie Kaufman.

Okay, maybe not. However, I did just spend two hours crying during and after watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind which was written by Kaufman which has become a habit for me after watching his movies. Or at least between this one and Adaptation. Truth of the matter is, I have never seen any character on screen that I feel as close to as Charlie Kaufman in Adaptation and Joel Barish in Eternal Sunshine...especially when it comes to women and shyness. The scene in Adaptation where Charlie asks the waitress to go to the flower convention is me to a tee...the entirity of Joel's rememberences of his relationship with Clementine in Eternal Sunshine are the rememberencs of every relationship that I have never had.

And that's what killed me this time. That I have felt the way that Joel did, do feel the way that Joel does, and my reaction is so often the same as his. The way he so shyly gets into Clemetine's advances, the way he's so damn timid about everything, the way he just doesn't give a damn about his differences with the girl because he knows that there's love there nonetheless.

I guess I'm probably starting to sound rather corny, and maybe what I'm saying is true of so many. Maybe this is one of those things that just can't be expressed. But I have seen a lot of movies in my day. A lot of movies, and never have I seen characters so consistently reflect me as the main characters in Charlie Kaufman scripts do. It's nice....especially since we're obviously a lot of like and he's at least successful...and it took him ahile to get there too.

(that and he wrote two episodes of Get A Life back in the early days of Fox...that's kickass)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home