Friday, October 1

downsize me, please

I watched Supersize Me last night and I really gotta recommend it to everyone out there in cyberspace (and why don't you rent it after joining one of the DVD rental clubs listed on DVDs Galore?). It was disgusting. Now, I read Fast Food Nation two years ago (and it is still my number one recommendation for people who ask me for one) and the movie served to drive the point home that fast food is really, really bad for you. However, as the book showed how the industry is, well, evil in a corporate profits before health and social conscience sort of way, the movie showed just how bad the food actually is for you. Basically, Supersize Me made the case that living off of the food will not only make you unhealthy, it'll kill you (Morgan Spurlock, the director and guinea pig, suffered near-liver shut down as the result of his four-week diet).

Add a new diet to my list of things I'm taking advantage of this life reset to change. I am going to do my best to remove not only fast food (which I honestly don't eat a whole lot of) out of my diet, but processed food in general where possible. At least in a cut-back sort of way (I can't ditch Mac & Cheese or the occasional frozen pizza out). No more processed lunch meats -- I'll splurge and spend the extra buck or two a pound and get deli roast beef and chicken. No more microwaveable entrees. No more Raman noodles and all that. Whole foods are better for you, even if they're not organic. I've already switched to whole grains instead of white bread and rice...I'm just going to take that to the next level. Oh, and no more pop.

So let's recap the reset:

  • I am trying my best to not be so "nosy" as some would call it. My dad (especially -- the other day he asked if I bought the mushrooms I used to make dinner pre-sliced or not...that sort of question is just frivolous, annoying, and unimportant) and my brother have showed me how annoying that is.

  • I have filed my first application for grad school and now that I have done the first one, I won't have such a hard time motivating myself for others (if I'm not accepted).

  • I am taking my relationships with others more seriously. In the past I have taken my friends for granted, emotionally, and taken in a lot of ways more than given. Other's caring for me was less important than me caring for them. That needs to change.

  • I am going to begin more thoughts with "I am" and fewer with "I will". I need to stop putting things off, waiting for everything to be perfect to make my move, telling myself that things will be better sometime in the future and instead just make things happen now.

  • I feel more self-confidance at this time than I ever have in my life. I need to keep that there, and do something with it...and quit being so timid all the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home