Monday, November 8

ahhhh...progress

WalMart opened a store in the buffer-zone between Aztec ruins and Mexico City recently. I think it's grand. Now people can visit the ruins of one of the great civilizations of the Americas, a world cultural site, then leave and buy a t-shirt crafted by the master hands of a 14-year-old Indonesian girl.

I don't know about you, but I look foward to the day when I can visit the Gettysburg Battlefield and when at the top of the Devil's Den, pull up to the McDonald's drive through (I'm sorry, I think the dictionary term is actually "drive-thru" but that is just too bloody illiterate) and order myself some fries. I look forward to visiting the Gap in the Forbidden City Mall™ in China. I look forward to ordering a Latte from the Starbuck's kiosk between the paws of the Sphinx. And who doesn't yearn for the opportunity to rent the next John Woo flick at the Blockbuster amongst the ruins of Machu Pichu?

All sarcasm aside, I guess it shouldn't surprise any of us. It almost makes sense that the heritage of yesteryear intermingle with the heritage of today. After all, these sites are what our ancestors are remembered for...I should be surprised to find out that we're ultimately known for anything more than corporate greed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home