Tuesday, November 23

something

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. No, wait, not so much thinking as paying a lot of attention. Close attention. To the world, to movies, to my thoughts, and, most surprising, to my feelings.

I was watching Fight Club a week or so ago and something said during one of the bathroom bantor scenes between Norton and Pitt, something along the lines of living to the advice of non-fathers and Pitt calling himself a "30-year-old boy", has stuck with me. Then I read something about the movie The 40 Year-Old Virgin and it's tagline of a "middle-aged coming-of-age story" and it threw me into a thought about my generation...those of us now in our 30's and 20's...so many of us haven't yet come to age.

I'm still working at the hoochie bar on Friday nights, I see a lot of people on any given week acting fifteen years younger than they are. I see people that elevate sex and lust above all else in a way that only a 15-year-old would be expected to, and I see them being seen as "normal". And it isn't just about sex; at coffee shops and in my own slacker jobs I see people in their late twenties and early thirties that have absolutely no idea what they're going to be when they grow up. I listen to people my age cry and bitch and moan about how things aren't perfect as if they're still living in that adolescent wonderland where fairy tales still can come true.

And I do put myself (and most everyone I know) in this category.

What has happened to us? Why are we so misguided? Why can't we accept reality and move on with our lives?

Right now, all I have are questions...I have no answers. It's been awhile since I've written though, so I figured I should write -- and why not? They are questions that so many of us should be asking ourselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home