Tuesday, January 25

a grand glacier

I walked downtown today to see for myself the ice jam that has Michigan's largest river flooding over its bank from Lake Michigan East past here in Grand Rapids, 30 miles inland. I got to a bridge that normally hangs twenty feet or so over the rushing waters only to find myself ten feet or so above a field of ice oddly reminiscent of the glaciers I viewed from thirty-thousand feet ravaging the massive wildernesses of Greenland. In places, crevasses had formed -- thick cracks that weaved back and forth across the frozen water -- in very few others, the currents were strong enough to open up ten foot holes so as to remind passers-by that there was still a living stream underneath.

Nonetheless, I wanted to jump down and walk across, playing Shackleton in some fool-hardy game that more than likely would have led to my very cold, very quick demise.

It woulda been cool before I broke through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home