Wednesday, February 16

the many, the not so proud

Today I joined one of the fastest growing interest groups in America -- the uninsured. Mark me down as number 45 million and one.

I just couldn't afford to pay the premium anymore. When I signed up for individual health insurance three or four years ago, I had a $2000 yearly deductible with a monthly payment of something like $35. In December that premium had gone up to $58 a month and that was only so low because I had the deductible raised to $5000.

But I had a epiphany...besides the fact that I have paid a hundred times into the system as I have gotten out (it did afford me a 10-20% discount on services the last two times I had gone in), it occurred to me that at this stage of my life, there is absolutely no difference in racking up $5000 in medical bills and $50,000. In both cases it'll be forever before I'll be able to pay them off and in both cases it'd probably be enough to throw me into bankruptcy anyway...so why bother?

Besides, there are lower cost options out there. One local doctor charges $250 per year for unlimited visits and on-site procedures. I guess that includes x-rays, less-complex labs, and all that sort of stuff. There are other options in my area like Cherry Street Health -- a health provider that works on a sliding pay scale and offers all sorts of services, including dental (I hate to think how long long it's been since I've had my teeth cleaned...).

It's ridiculous to me that our priorities in this country are such that tax cuts and foreign invasions are high and health care for the poor, working, and studying 45 million are low...but until that changes, I guess these are my choices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home