Sunday, April 3

automobile math

I was looking at the paper today, specifically at the "bargain corner" where they list cars for sae under a thousand bucks. I saw a few promising listings, but I figured that I should have some idea about how much it will cost me for insurance before I go buy a car...

So I called Progressive, got a few quotes, I just checked GEICO online too and the verdict is...$80 a month MINIMUM for me.

I thought maybe I'd have to pay $40 or $50 for the minimum stuff, but no...

Thing is, crunching the numbers, I can rent a car from Enterprise or Budget for $30 a day when I need one, which is only occasionally (when I have to go to class in Lansing a total of 12 times or if I ever ask a girl out on a date and that sort of thing). That means that I can drive a brand new car without worry of fixing any knocks, changing any oil, or paying insurance premiums three times a month for the same cost as just insurance. Add in the price of the car itself and maintainence (and the fact that the fuel efficiency of any car I can get for under $1000 will be much less than a rental) and I could rent a car probably five or six days a week (or for full weekends now and then since the rates go WAY down then) and still come out ahead financially.

In short, I'm running out of reasons in my head to actually buy a car and wondering why the hell I haven't realized this about renting any sooner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home