Saturday, May 7

another old classmate...

As I was leaving a party last night, a guy I went to high school with and had only talked to once or twice since showed up at the door...having been walking home from the bar with a friend and deciding to see what the party was all about. We decided to all leave together and walk the mile and a half back to his friend's house since it was three blocks from my place...

While walking we did what old classmates tend to do when they meet by chance some ten years after they graduate -- gossip about who's doing what. Not running into many from the ol' high school, I didn't have much to say. Besides, anythng I had wouldn't compare to what he told me about one guy that was actually my study partner back in Middle School English. A relatively good kid...a bit snobby richish, but relatively normal.

I was told, however, that he was in prison after shooting a guy in the head with a shotgun. He was paranoid, my high school chum told me, because he thought the guy -- a Rwandan refugee he tells me -- was hitting on his girlfriend or something. Not that it excuses him of anything, but his father was something of a creep I guess, and throughout high school had issues with the whole boy/girl thing; often getting jealous of any guy with a girl and being over-protective of any girl with a guy.

Curious, I just looked his name up in Google. The story, at it's base, seems to be somewhat right. My friend had said he'd moved to Colorado and openned up a hep clothes store, and that after killing the guy had run up to Canada. Other facts were only a bit off: He did kill a guy from Africa (it seems Angola, and not Rwanda) with a shotgun to the face. And it did involve his girlfriend, but not so much in a jealousy kind of way...no, Kirk Palmer thought the guy was turning his girlfriend into a vampire. He was caught fleeing to canada and was found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Suddenly I so want to go to my ten year reunion...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home