Monday, October 10

netflix: a review

I've been a long time customer of Netflix.com. Yes, I've tried the other services (or at least WalMart and Blockbuster), but Netflix is the one company that I keep turning back to. Here's why --

First, the selection at Netflix is by far the greatest of all the mail-order dvd rental companies. Others, like intelliflix claim to have bigger catalogs, but I don't see it. Aside from the adult, Netflix has consistently had every movie I have ever looked for (and I have some weird tastes in indy and documentary films!).

Second, Netflix has plenty of copies of popular movies. With other companies, you may wait days or even weeks for that hot new release to become available to be shipped to you. At Netflix I've only had to wait once, and it was only a matter of days. That's sweet.

Third, Netflix gets its movies out as quickly as possible. Years ago, when I first signed up, it took three days between my sending it out and getting a replacement. I thought that was good (in fact, it was better than WalMart's system and similar to Blockbuster), but it has gotten better -- to two days...one there and one back. Send a movie back to them on Monday and 9 times out of 10 you'll have a new disc on Wednsday. With their three movie plan (at the time I'm writing this, $17.99 a month -- though costs go as low as $9.99 a month for other plans) you can (and I have) watch a different movie each and every day; that's 30 movies in one month (though it takes a lot of time and sending movies back the same day that they arrive). Even if that's not your game, at $18 a month it's still cheaper to do the 3-at-a-time plan than to rent 5 movies from the rental store at $4 a pop.

Going with that comparison to brick and mortar movie shops, Netflix (like most of the online rental companies) doesn't charge late fees. I myself have kept a movie out for nearly two months (no time to watch!) without a penny in fines. Sometimes it happens, you know? In any case, the only downside to doing so is that you won't get another disc sent out to you. That's it! Once you do happen to send it back, the next movie in your queue (the list of movies you have selected to rent, in the order in which you'd like to receive them) will be shipped out immediately -- no harm, no foul!

Last, the customer service is perfect. Though I haven't really needed help, per se, the times that I've had to cancel or change addresses, the response has been as good as one can expect. They are on the ball at Netflix, and that's not something that can be said about just any company these days.

In any case, I whole-heartedly endorse the company and recommend signing up to all of my friends. Several of them have even dropped their expensive cable after realizing that Netflix can offer them just as much entertainment at so much less (and with their extensive compilations of TV shows on DVD you can watch just about any program on TV anyway -- in digital quality!) -- and not a one of them seems to have regretted making the switch.

(For a general review of several companies that I did this past Summer, click here)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home