Sunday, November 20

it's all about trust

It's been the buzz on the net for quite awhile and finally hit the presses last week -- Sony's copyright protection software. Basically, in order to prevent customers from making 10 copies of a new CD and hand them off to friends, they've made it difficult to play the CDs on computers -- which means making it hard to play on iPods or other mp3 players. Sony isn't the only label using them either -- EMI does too, and at least a few others are planning on it. And the whole thing is costing the labels sales.

As well as it should.

If a corporation, or any company, is going to treat us all as criminals, why should we trust them? Why should we give them our money? Why should we treat them as anything less than criminals themselves? We don't owe them anything -- we don't have to buy what they sell.

The McDonald's around the corner started going nuts with examining twenty-dollar bills a couple months ago. They hold them up to the lights, obviously checking for all the security measures, making a scene of it almost...but I have to wonder (and would ask if I felt that the counter person would "get it") why I should trust the food if they can't trust my money. I mean, I'm putting this shit in my body, that takes some trust...why can't they show me the same? Why do they have to assume my criminality?

The fact is that people don't care -- "It's just a part of business" they say. It doesn't need to. We have power my friends. If they -- whether "they" be record labels or fast food joints -- aren't going to show us a little trust we can view them with a suspicious eye and take our money (and interests) elsewhere. There are plenty of businesses, large and small, that are willing to show us all a little trust and we should all be supporting them. I'm going to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home